Monday 9 January 2017

Films Made by Women: A Challenge for 2017 (and beyond...)

This is hardly a new thing (see #52FilmsByWomen) but I have set myself a goal to make a conscious effort to see more films either directed or written by women in 2017.

While I have thoroughly enjoyed numerous films by male writers and directors, the balance is still off. Of the films I saw at London Film Festival last year, some real standouts were made by women: Amma Asante's A United Kingdom, Mira Nair's Queen of Katwe and Lone Scherfig's Their Finest (written by Gaby Chiappe). Yet, their wider releases (if they were fortunate enough to get one!) came and went without much discussion.
 
So my plan is to watch and discuss them, plain and simple . . . and if I can't find any at the cinema then I have some DVDs to go through (see the photo!) and some options on Netflix.
 
My current Netflix list (UK) includes:
  • 13th
  • The Reluctant Fundamentalist
  • Take This Waltz
  • Coin Heist
If you feel like joining in or have any suggestions then feel free to tweet me at @filmvsbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment